Author Topic: In the midst of the ‘Madding’ crowd – there is no safety in numbers on Everest  (Read 459 times)

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
  • "O for a horse with wings!" Will Shakespeare
The sheer volume of people in one place on Everest at any one time is looking more dangerous than ever.

With perhaps 200 climbers staged at the South Col alone today, and most of the Northern teams backed up between ABC and the North Col, #EverestHoards may take on new meaning.

http://explore7summits.com/in-the-midst-of-the-madding-crowd-what-will-the-next-big-accident-on-everest-be-like/?fbclid=IwAR1AyCmBNL2UJsR8OYOZcz77vwRQThhWYbVYuSAh2Ptp-_CncMR3yx33HIc
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."

"Life lies in resolve for death"
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey
"Goddamn, you play a mean banjo"

Offline Morgan Fisher

• Ringo Starr
    • My website
Blimey. Not much different to Fuji (and you wouldn't get me up there either). They need to install a ticket wicket!

MF

Offline Charlie Badenhop

• Ringo Bingo
And the climb is SO dangerous!

Someone just killed today on his way back down.

Apparently oxygen starvation, which is so easy to imagine.

RIP

Offline William Stonehill

• Ringo Bingo
What is more, nobody pronounces the name of the mountain right. It is not a hard "e" as in "Event" but a soft "e" as in "need". Mt. E---verest
Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in?  I think that is how dogs spend their lives.  ~Sue Murphy

Offline Julianne S

• Ringo Starr
    • my site
Crikey!  That's nuts!  Surely they should at least consider controlling the numbers.

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
What is more, nobody pronounces the name of the mountain right. It is not a hard "e" as in "Event" but a soft "e" as in "need". Mt. E---verest

Or its Sagarmāthā or Chomolungma.

Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey

Offline Charlie Badenhop

• Ringo Bingo
I had flight training in the Navy....

Amazing how your brain comes to a halt without enough oxygen.

I don't remember the induced altitude we got to in the altitude chamber, but I do remember not being able to say my own name!
I was certain I knew my name, but for some reason I just couldn't say it!

THAT to me is the biggest danger in climbing Everest. Not forgetting avalanches of course!!

Offline Julianne S

• Ringo Starr
    • my site
And now for an Everest story from years before the crowds, including the Aussie who invented the puffer jacket.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-25/puffer-jackets-the-incredible-true-story/10133112

Offline William Stonehill

• Ringo Bingo
And now for an Everest story from years before the crowds, including the Aussie who invented the puffer jacket.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-25/puffer-jackets-the-incredible-true-story/10133112

Seattle legend has it that Eddie Bauer invented the down lined jacket. Supposedly he invented it in 1936 and patented it in 1940, But it looks like he was a johnny-come-lately and the real honors go to our friends in Oz.
Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in?  I think that is how dogs spend their lives.  ~Sue Murphy

Offline Charlie Badenhop

• Ringo Bingo
This year it is especially out of control.

And SO MANY people climbing, who really shouldn't be!

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
It's called death  :o

Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
It's called death  :o

Mine comes to a halt even with oxygen :o, is that the living dead ;D  ;D ;D

Offline Charlie Badenhop

• Ringo Bingo
In regard to lack of oxygen, the US military has done lots of interesting "studies"

Stuff like-

Everyone is badly oxygen deprived in an altitude chamber, they have one planted guy who all of a sudden threatens to kill everyone. The guy does not have a gun pulled out.

There is a supposedly loaded gun sitting on a nearby table. None of the participants move to get the gun.

LOTS of other scenarios, where people just fail to take action.

Made a real believer out of me!