Author Topic: Trade War 2 Game On  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
Re: Trade War 2 Game On
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 05:58:06 PM »
Crypto market manipulation.
I was in and am now out after taking 10% profit in little over 10 days. That's a good enough return for me. If it goes another 50%, I'll kick myself!
Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
  • "O for a horse with wings!" Will Shakespeare
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 06:04:59 PM »
That is exactly what is going on. Isn't that always the way of a bubble. Conditions are perfect for it to climb. Thanks to the trade war and falling markets. Keep going Trump and China! So much fun.

Don't I remember you saying you hated crypto a year or 2 ago ;-) Anyway not liking something doesn't stop us taking advantage of it.

Better to kick yourself rather than loose.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:07:16 AM by RevX »
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."

"Life lies in resolve for death"
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey
"Goddamn, you play a mean banjo"

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 06:16:59 AM »
From The Economist

THOUGH CHINA runs a massive trade surplus with America, over the past year it has run a massive rhetoric deficit. During that period President Donald Trump has tweeted about China 133 times; Chinese leaders, by contrast, have mostly kept mum about the trade dispute with America. But in the past few days that has begun to change. A sudden barrage of commentaries about the trade war in state media has struck a note of defiant nationalism. “If you want to talk, our door is wide open,” said an anchor on China’s most-watched news programme on May 13th, in a clip that went viral. “If you want to fight, we’ll fight you to the end.”

The aggressive language comes as the two countries’ trade war heats up. Last week American negotiators alleged that China had reneged on a draft deal that was nearly complete. Chinese officials said it was the Americans who were making unreasonable demands. The breakdown in talks led to America’s decision on May 10th to raise tariffs on $200bn-worth of Chinese imports from 10% to 25%, covering products such as car parts and circuit boards.

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 06:58:48 AM »
And the next salvo:

From The NYT

WASHINGTON — President Trump moved on Wednesday to ban American telecommunications firms from installing foreign-made equipment that could pose a threat to national security, White House officials said, stepping up a battle against China by effectively barring sales by Huawei, the country’s leading networking company.

Mr. Trump issued an executive order instructing the commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, to ban transactions “posing an unacceptable risk” but did not single out any nation or company. The action has long been expected and is the latest salvo in the administration’s economic and security battle with China. It is also the most extreme move in the Trump administration’s fight against China’s tech sector.

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
Singling out another Chinese company for trade ban?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/us/politics/hikvision-trump.html

It can only be a matter of time before China retaliates against Apple.

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »
And the next salvo:

From The NYT

WASHINGTON — President Trump moved on Wednesday to ban American telecommunications firms from installing foreign-made equipment that could pose a threat to national security, White House officials said, stepping up a battle against China by effectively barring sales by Huawei, the country’s leading networking company.

Mr. Trump issued an executive order instructing the commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, to ban transactions “posing an unacceptable risk” but did not single out any nation or company. The action has long been expected and is the latest salvo in the administration’s economic and security battle with China. It is also the most extreme move in the Trump administration’s fight against China’s tech sector.

I've found all this hilarious, if I heard correctly (very probably didn't) there isn't an alternative to Huawei for parts of a 5G network. Begs the question of if any humans in the world really need 5G anyway.

Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »
I think Xi has the measure of The Chimp. His first visit on a recent national walkabout was to a rare- earths' mine—that was no accident. And he's been talking about a new Long March. Remember when Japanese industry shat itself when China stopped exports of rare earths during the islands dispute? The US has a rare-earths' mine coming online soon, but not enough to feed its appetite. Also there are Chinese government rumblings about selling US Treasury holdings. And you can be sure the likes of Broadcom, Micron, Qualcomm etc., are not thrilled to lose the Chinese market for their chips. And if the Chinese have half a brain they will be buying fab technology from Japan and Korea to build their own semiconductors to cut out US chip producers soon. The Chimp is in danger of sparking a firestorm, but his peanut brain has not realized the side effects yet.

And the next salvo:

From The NYT

I've found all this hilarious, if I heard correctly (very probably didn't) there isn't an alternative to Huawei for parts of a 5G network. Begs the question of if any humans in the world really need 5G anyway.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:22:10 AM by Robert Hancock »

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 06:30:33 AM »
Begs the question of if any humans in the world really need 5G anyway.

5G is the critical technology for IoT in industry and the home, and for the so-called connected car with Emergency Response systems and self-driving. It's a moot question whether we need those things—they're coming whether we like them or not. It should help safe driving and save some lives in road accidents. It might help cut some energy consumption. It will certainly lead to more surveillance capitalism.

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 07:01:35 AM »
And the damage spreads; SoftBank-owned ARM (who's various design flavors power huge numbers (all?) of Huawei, Samsung, Apple, Xiaomi, etc., mobiles) has cut all business ties with Huawei because the ARM designs incorporate US IP from HiSilicon.

Even Huawei's new Kirin processor uses ARM technology.

The interdependence of all these businesses is stunning and a trade war hurts everyone.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48363772

Next, watch for a collapse in US tech stocks when sales of Apple's iPhones are banned in China.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:04:19 AM by Robert Hancock »

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »
Begs the question of if any humans in the world really need 5G anyway.

5G is the critical technology for IoT in industry and the home, and for the so-called connected car with Emergency Response systems and self-driving. It's a moot question whether we need those things—they're coming whether we like them or not. It should help safe driving and save some lives in road accidents. It might help cut some energy consumption. It will certainly lead to more surveillance capitalism.

I'd suggest it's not completely moot, we can still hold an opinion on the usefulness and necessity to humanity of these ideas. It does impact climate catastrophe as I see it.  Like you I don't see all of these ideas being stopped or limited.
Been listening to several stories on beeb world service along these lines over the last few days. I found them fascinating, I would recommend them
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:48:00 PM by RevX »

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:02 PM »
I do a lot of translation work in the mobile world, especially in test sets used by operators and makers.

A senior engineer at one large Japanese maker with offices worldwide told me today they have had to stop ALL contact with Huawei worldwide because some of their instruments incorporate American IP.

They are seriously unamused that a "rogue" US president can have this deleterious effect on their business.

You can imagine what the long-term effect will be—the removal of all US IP from their products.  The Chimp and his peanut providers really did not think this through.

Offline Jim_S

• Ringo Starr
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
I do a lot of translation work in the mobile world, especially in test sets used by operators and makers.

A senior engineer at one large Japanese maker with offices worldwide told me today they have had to stop ALL contact with Huawei worldwide because some of their instruments incorporate American IP.

They are seriously unamused that a "rogue" US president can have this deleterious effect on their business.

You can imagine what the long-term effect will be—the removal of all US IP from their products.  The Chimp and his peanut providers really did not think this through.

I don't quite get it. Is Huawei using technology patented by a US company without a license? Why does the Japanese firm you refer to have to stop all contact with Huawei? Or is Softbank, which owns ARM, which sells or licenses to Huawei, to blame? Sorry, quite confused.
I would rather have questions that can’t be answered, than answers that can’t be questioned—Richard Feynman.

Offline Wayne B

• Ringo Starr
    • The Cat & Cask Tavern
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 03:52:21 PM »
I wonder how long the Chump faithful will still support him when they start losing money on the tech shares?
The lord is not my shepherd for I am not a sheep

Offline William Stonehill

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 04:33:28 PM »
I wonder how long the Chump faithful will still support him when they start losing money on the tech shares?

Farmers are losing far more, yet they continue to support him.

A Dutch friend asked me in a mail today: why are all politicians close to being morons?
Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in?  I think that is how dogs spend their lives.  ~Sue Murphy

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »

Farmers are losing far more, yet they continue to support him.

A Dutch friend asked me in a mail today: why are all politicians close to being morons?

If we can solve that problem we might be on the way to a better human world!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:56:23 PM by RevX »