Author Topic: Curious user name: coincidence?  (Read 475 times)

Offline Robert F. Whittier

• Administrator
  • Ringo Goddess
Curious user name: coincidence?
« on: March 02, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »
There is a bogus membership application from somebody with the username "lucilewz69." Except for the "z69," this is the first name and family name initial of my mother who passed away on January 4. Would anybody be trying so hard to get onto our forum that they would carry out the research to find names of people we might be fooled into admitting? Or do you think that this name, even with its atypical spelling, is just a coincidence?
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.  -Richard P. Feynman

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
  • "O for a horse with wings!" Will Shakespeare
Re: Curious user name: coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:32:58 PM »
I think it is just a sad coincidence.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."

"Life lies in resolve for death"
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey
"Goddamn, you play a mean banjo"

Offline Jim_S

• Ringo Starr
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 09:10:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about your mother, Robert. I think it's most likely a sad coincidence. Can I ask why you think it's bogus, rather than real?
I would rather have questions that can’t be answered, than answers that can’t be questioned—Richard Feynman.

• Administrator
  • Ringo Goddess
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:20:19 PM »
Without giving too much away, there are three pieces of data we collect from applicants that we can investigate. Like about 99% of applicants, this person has a history of spamming.
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.  -Richard P. Feynman

Offline Simon Varnam

• Ringo Bingo
    • My Photo Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:00 PM »
Without giving too much away, there are three pieces of data we collect from applicants that we can investigate. Like about 99% of applicants, this person has a history of spamming.

I hope you don't have to sort them all by hand.
SPV
.more wingnuts than a sycamore.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
--Abraham Lincoln

June 2010.. was the 304th consecutive month with an average temp (CGLST) above  the 20th C average.
UPDATE May 2013 was the 339th....
no slacking

• Administrator
  • Ringo Goddess
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »
It's not as automated as we (Morgan and I) might wish, and a bit of judgment is required, but we have tools that help. There is a lot of cutting and pasting. But if somebody is trying to join and a regular member gives us a heads up and vouches for the person, things will probably move faster.

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
  • "O for a horse with wings!" Will Shakespeare
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
Thanks to both of you for doing this important job.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."

"Life lies in resolve for death"
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey
"Goddamn, you play a mean banjo"

Offline Charlie Badenhop

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »
Yes....

Thanks to Morgan and Robert!

I was lucky to get in before the vetting got stringent!!

:D :D