Author Topic: Meanwhile in Wales a Hydrogen powered car  (Read 228 times)

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
  • "O for a horse with wings!" Will Shakespeare
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."

"Life lies in resolve for death"
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey
"Goddamn, you play a mean banjo"

Offline Simon Varnam

• Ringo Bingo
    • My Photo Gallery
Re: Meanwhile in Wales a Hydrogen powered car
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 08:43:50 PM »
At the beginning:

"the only tail pipe emission is water."

At the end.

"How clean is hydrogen?
Despite hydrogen cars having zero tailpipe emissions, hydrogen production is energy intensive.
Currently, most hydrogen is extracted from methane, which, when exposed to high-temperature steam, separates into hydrogen and carbon monoxide while producing a small amount of carbon dioxide."

No mention of where the heat comes from? Cooling towers?
SPV
.more wingnuts than a sycamore.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
--Abraham Lincoln

June 2010.. was the 304th consecutive month with an average temp (CGLST) above  the 20th C average.
UPDATE May 2013 was the 339th....
no slacking

Offline William Stonehill

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 10:09:54 AM »
At the beginning:

"the only tail pipe emission is water."

At the end.

"How clean is hydrogen?
Despite hydrogen cars having zero tailpipe emissions, hydrogen production is energy intensive.
Currently, most hydrogen is extracted from methane, which, when exposed to high-temperature steam, separates into hydrogen and carbon monoxide while producing a small amount of carbon dioxide."

No mention of where the heat comes from? Cooling towers?
SPV

Voodoo ecology. Lots--indeed most automobiles running on alternative energy, be it electricity or hydrogen conveniently ignore the energy and infrastructure input necessary so they can run their "ecological car_". Where does the energy to run Tesla come from? I hope no one is going to tell me solar panels at their recharging station.
Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in?  I think that is how dogs spend their lives.  ~Sue Murphy

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:40:32 AM »
What might be a good way forward if all these other attempts are window dressing?

Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
What might be a good way forward if all these other attempts are window dressing?

My personal feeling (I am looking at the USA, that energy glutton)  that public transportation has to come into use many, many times what it is now. That railroads have to increase many times above what they are now, and that strict size limits have to be put on cars and trucks. Indeed, I would have a licensing system that would demand that anyone who wanted a car or truck would have to show that they had parking for it, and some measure of necessity. I would license cars like I would license guns.

While this would not by any means completely eliminate the problems I mentioned, the amount we would have to rape the planet would not be as extreme as if we kept on doing things just the same way we are doing them now.

Incidentally, I would also seriously consider the role of nuclear energy in any future power mix.

Small is beautiful and smaller is better.
Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in?  I think that is how dogs spend their lives.  ~Sue Murphy

Offline Simon Varnam

• Ringo Bingo
    • My Photo Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »

Incidentally, I would also seriously consider the role of nuclear energy in any future power mix.

Yes, I wonder if all those idle ones are really any safer than they would be producing electricity.
Not that I'm suggesting we should build more, and certainly not that we let TEPCO or the GM/Hitachi hold the reins.

SPV

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
--Abraham Lincoln

June 2010.. was the 304th consecutive month with an average temp (CGLST) above  the 20th C average.
no slacking

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »

Yes, I wonder if all those idle ones are really any safer than they would be producing electricity.
Not that I'm suggesting we should build more, and certainly not that we let TEPCO or the GM/Hitachi hold the reins.

SPV

I think Tepco should be driven out into the desert to watch Sun Lizards. Nor would I allow GE (not GM) or Hitachi to participate in any building project that does not involve Lego blocks.

Offline Jim Ediger

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 02:03:38 AM »
Not sure if it's a fair comparison, but just as you can't build a perpetual-motion machine because you always have to sacrifice some energy just to move the machine –– most of these energy-saving means do have some drawbacks.
Current hybrid-electric cars' batteries (help shift away from oil-dependence) are big-time polluters.

Offline Simon Varnam

• Ringo Bingo
    • My Photo Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »
Current hybrid-electric cars' batteries (help shift away from oil-dependence) are big-time polluters.

Tell me more!
SPV

--Abraham Lincoln

no slacking