Author Topic: Trade War 2 Game On  (Read 2246 times)

Offline William Stonehill

• Ringo Bingo
Re: Trade War 2 Game On
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »
And hopefully cheaper limes, too.  Margaritas, anybody? 
And I've got a great recipe for key lime pie.

Japan has a Free Trade Agreement with Mexico, including (hubba hubba) article 59, a Most Favored Nation Clause. One way or the other you'll get some cheaper limes some day.
But I don't know if Mexican limes and and Key limes are quite the same thing or not.

Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in?  I think that is how dogs spend their lives.  ~Sue Murphy

Offline Wayne B

• Ringo Starr
    • The Cat & Cask Tavern
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2019, 10:11:34 AM »
Market Crashes As World Realizes Trump Is Stupid (Tariffs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pT8ujxkpow
The lord is not my shepherd for I am not a sheep

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2019, 07:08:41 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48537643

Huawei signs 5G deal with Russia—classic; forced to find a new market and did the deal.

Now we know why Xi is in Moscow shaking hands with Putin (and giving Pandas to Moscow Zoo).
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it's like to be a slave.

Offline Julianne S

• Ringo Starr
    • my site
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »
Hmmmm, interesting...

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2019, 05:10:05 PM »
Intel, Micron and Others Making a chump of The Chump

From NYT

SHANGHAI — United States chip makers are still selling millions of dollars of products to Huawei despite a Trump administration ban on the sale of American technology to the Chinese telecommunications giant, according to four people with knowledge of the sales.

Industry leaders including Intel and Micron have found ways to avoid labeling goods as American-made, said the people, who spoke on the condition they not be named because they were not authorized to disclose the sales.

Goods produced by American companies overseas are not always considered American-made. The components began to flow to Huawei about three weeks ago, the people said.

The sales will help Huawei continue to sell products such as smartphones and servers, and underscore how difficult it is for the Trump administration to clamp down on companies that it considers a national security threat, like Huawei. They also hint at the possible unintended consequences from altering the web of trade relationships that ties together the world’s electronics industry and global commerce.

The Commerce Department’s move to block sales to Huawei, by putting it on a so-called entity list, set off confusion within the Chinese company and its many American suppliers, the people said. Many executives lacked deep experience with American trade controls, leading to initial suspensions in shipments to Huawei until lawyers could puzzle out which products could be sent. Decisions about what can and cannot be shipped were also often run by the Commerce Department.
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it's like to be a slave.

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
  • "O for a horse with wings!" Will Shakespeare
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
Funniest news I've heard for a while. Thanks for sharing it!
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."

"Life lies in resolve for death"
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey
"Goddamn, you play a mean banjo"

Offline Wayne B

• Ringo Starr
    • The Cat & Cask Tavern
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »
Well, that didn't last long  ;D

Breaking: Huawei will be allowed to do business with U.S. companies again

https://www.androidauthority.com/?p=1004260

I sprang for the 8" Huawei MediaPad Lite a few weeks ago and one of my customers ordered a P30 Lite yesterday.
The lord is not my shepherd for I am not a sheep

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2019, 06:52:36 AM »
Next-up, US soybean and pork farmers go out of business—let's hope they weren't Chump voters.
Dow dropped more than 7% since last Friday.

From NYT

China also said it asked state-owned companies to stop buying U.S. agricultural products, Bloomberg reported. It's the latest blow to American farmers, who have seen prices fall sharply as a result of friction between the U.S. and its major trading partners.

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2019, 07:01:35 AM »
Sadly I think mid-west farmers were part of his support group.  I read an article on this somewhere.

Good to see the dow falling, lets hope another 50% to really get the ball rolling.

Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  ~James Dickey

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2019, 07:54:52 AM »
Does The Chump moron understand how tariffs (and proper nouns) work?

Chump tweet

“It is now even more obvious to everyone that Americans are not paying for the Tariffs – they are being paid for compliments of China, and the U.S. is taking in tens of Billions of Dollars!”
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:09:16 AM by Robert Hancock »

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2019, 07:56:25 AM »
Next-up, China starts unloading $1.2 trillion in US Treasuries?

From April 2015 2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/chinas-1-point-2-trillion-weapon-that-could-be-used-in-a-us-trade-war.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:37:00 AM by Robert Hancock »

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2019, 08:06:34 AM »

Offline iTmX nee (RevX)

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2019, 08:47:29 AM »
Next-up, China starts unloading $1.2 trillion in US Treasuries?

From April 2015

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/chinas-1-point-2-trillion-weapon-that-could-be-used-in-a-us-trade-war.html

YES!!! I hope so. I don't think they would want to cause so much instability but would be so much fun if they did.

Offline Robert Hancock

• Ringo Bingo
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2019, 06:31:28 AM »
Tit for Tat
Two can play the banned telecom game

Snip from The Register

Cisco also warned that it was taking a big hit in China, where the ongoing trade wars and state-backing for local companies has got so bad that Robbins said his company has been "uninvited" and frozen out of bidding for deals with telcos in the Middle Kingdom.

"For years we have sold infrastructure to the large carriers in China, and for years that has been declining," Robbins told analysts on an earnings call. "This was a much faster decline of what we candidly expected."

Referring to business in China, He added: "We’re being uninvited to bid. We’re not being allowed to even participate anymore."

The disappointing outlook and grim picture in China sent Cisco's stock into a tailspin Wednesday afternoon. Switchzilla shares were trading after hours at $46.60, down nearly 8 per cent. ®